Shops & Services
This page collates the shops and services from Christchurch. If an individual subject gains sufficient information and/or material then it will expand onto its own page and be linked below:
Christchurch used to have quite a collection of shops. According to the 1861 Census, there were blacksmiths, wheelwrights, a grocer, a draper and cordwainers. These people must have had shops to carry out their business in. Kelly’s Directory of 1879 lists two grocers, a tailor, a wheelwright and four blacksmiths; while the Directory of 1892 lists two grocers and drapers, a tailor, a boot maker, a carpenter and a blacksmith. Thus I think it is feasible to claim that such traders in Christchurch had shops. Some of the older inhabitants of the village, recall that there used to be a blacksmiths and wheelwright down Dun Cow Drove, and a boot shop opposite the Church. Of course there was also the Post Office (Plate 7). It has been in its present position, an old farm house, since 1910. but previously it used to be in the house across the road, which until a few years ago was in use as a grocers shop. (Plate 8). This house has had quite a history; when the Post Office was moved it became a butchers and barbers shop and then it was converted to a grocers, whilst today the shop is in disuse, but the house is still lived in. 
In 1922, Kelly’s Directory of Cambridgeshire still lists one grocer, a draper, tree carpenters and one blacksmith. The wheelwright, tailor and shoe maker seem to have disappeared. This pattern has continued until the present day in Christchurch (1972), when the only shops are one general store, a blacksmiths and garage, and a cycle shop. 
The Post Office has operated in a few different locations throughout the village’s history. It started at the Grocers (Christchurch Cottage) in 1882. In 1910 it then moved to Syringa House. It then closes in late 1997 and didn’t re-open until the following year and relocated to the General Store. At the end of 2008, it closed again.
A Mobile Post Office service started in 2009 and remains in service.