History of Christchurch

Recording the history of the village of Christchurch (originally Brimstone Hill) in Cambridgeshire

Rose and Crown

The Rose and Crown were one of four Public Houses that once operated in Christchurch. It was situated at the junction of Crown Drove and Sixteen Foot Bank. The earliest known listing is 1836, and it closed sometime between 1879 and 1892 according to the relevant Kelly’s Directory listings. The building no longer exists. [1]

1881 is the last known entry for the pub. [2]

Licensees [2]

1836James West
1845J. Chorley
1846 – 1881Tansley Berry
(Mary Berry 1846 & 1858)


  1. Study of a Fenland Village
  2. https://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/norfolkuv/upwell/upwelcr.htm